Sunday, October 31, 2010

I can add Dog Walker to my resume

I know it has been a while since my last post, so I will just hit the high lights for y'all.

Sunday:  Dog Walking and Hiking
  For Independent Service Hours I went and walked dogs at one of the local animal shelters.  This particular shelter is a low kill shelter, so they take dogs and cats from the surrounding shelters that are on the way out the door and bring them to their shelter.  There were dogs there as old as ten years old and as young as ten weeks old, and of course I wanted to take all of them home with me.  Since so many of us went to volunteer, we had to share dogs, so Missy and I got to walk a pit bull mix named Recon.  Basically, if this dog is still there when I move back to South Carolina I am adopting him, end of story.  As for ISP, one of the workers told us that we could come back and walk the dogs anytime now that we have been there once, and we can come in the mornings to help clean the kennels and feed the dogs too.
  After I got back from ISP, my neighbor, Justine, and I decided we needed to do something outdoors for the rest of the day.  She found a great place for us to go hiking in Littleton called Roxborough Park.  It was gorgeous.  We hiked the South Rim trail, so about 3 miles.  The view was incredible and the rocks were the most vibrant shades of orange and red.  That took up the rest of the afternoon for us, but it was definitely worth it.
Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday: Classroom Training...Woof
  Nothing exciting to tell about training really.  We spent these days doing eight hours of classroom training for Shelter management with the Red Cross, Safe Spaces for children in emergency shelters, media training, service learning training and tool training.  Sitting through these trainings is one of the most difficult things for me.  Most of the rooms don't have windows, and they are all super warm so I inevitably get sleepy.  I spend a good portion of these trainings standing in the back of the room so that I don't fall asleep.
Tuesday: Service Project with the Denver Green School


  Tuesday we got to take a break from training and my group and one other group in my unit went and volunteered at the Denver Green School.  The Denver Green School is a new school that just started this year.  It only has Early Start, Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, and 6th grade so far.  They have plans to add two classes each year, eventually having Early Start through 8th grade.  The way the students are selected are based on the neighborhood kids being accepted first and then filling open slots with kids from outside of the neighborhood that ride the bus in to the school.  We volunteered in a few different capacities that day; some people read to the kids, some helped video students for parent-teach conferences, we ate lunch with the kids and played with them for recess.  Our major project was outside helping to create a garden for the school to use for different aspects of their curriculum.  We basically spent the day digging up the grass behind the school.  It was so nice to actually get off campus and do some hands-on work and get to interact with the community a little more.

I will update y'all on this weekends festivities tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment