Thursday, October 14, 2010

BDU= Uniform that I will not be photographed in...ever

Ok, I will give you the good news first; Day two was wayyyy better than day one.
Today was basically like first day of college orientation.  We had several sessions that were overviews of what will be going on the rest of training and where we will be meeting. We were reimbursed for our travel expenses, but since I drove, my pay doesn't even begin to cover my mom and I's expenses.  In between sessions we were able to get to know our groups a little better.  I found a couple guys that like Jam bands and want to see some shows while we are in Denver, so I am pretty excited about that. Also, most of the girls in my group are sweet, and I can definitely see myself getting to be really good friends with them.  There is definitely something to be said for bonding based only off of being in a certain situation because we don't have very much in common other than the situation we are in and maybe a few other small things.

After it was all said and done, we made a trip to Target.  At first, I was going to drive myself, but I'm glad I went with the group and got to talk with them a little more. I am so glad we went today though, because I was in desperate need of a few things.  Well, maybe not desperate, but I had to have detergent, snacks, and shoes (which I will explain when I tell you about these lovely uniforms we received).  Of course I can never go to Target and only get what I need, so I picked up a book to read, an air freshener and a couple other little things.  Basically I spent entirely too much money and was thankful to go to the caf and eat dinner for free. 

Speaking of the food, let me tell you about today's menu.  Well at breakfast I just had a bowl of cereal thinking that I wouldn't really need much more than that to last until lunch at noon.  I was wrong.  I was starving by about 10:30.  Then, I get to lunch and ask the lunch lady what she was serving.  Unfortunately, I couldn't understand her and just took what she served me.  It was some kind of rice concoction with broccoli and carrots.  So, I ate a salad and another bowl of cereal.  I am definitely looking forward to losing a lot of weight while I am here.  If the food continues to be like this after we start working out, I should shed the pounds. Dinner wasn't awful, but we missed out on the fried chicken and got shafted with chicken nuggets instead.  On the bright side though, I discovered that their black beans are awesome, so I ate black beans and rice as my main course and an apple for dessert.  Now that I am writing this, I realize that I am hungry already and will probably be having some of those snacks I bought at Target.

Now for the bad news; We received our uniforms today and must wear them at all times we are doing anything Americorps related.  So, let me give you a run down of what this uniform consists of.  Gray t-shirts (short and long sleeve), white and gray polo shirts (short and long sleeve), a hoodie, fleece vest.  So far so good right?  Well, the bottom half of the uniform would be the less flattering portion of the outfit; khaki cargo shorts, khaki and black bdu pants, which must be belted at all time with our shirts tucked in.  So basically just imagine me, 5'1", in any type of mens' cargo pants with a tucked in t-shirt, black belt, and closed toed shoes on....hideous.  Thus, why I purchased a pair of shoes today at Target.  I got a cute pair of moccasins to wear with the uniform while we are in training and traveling, just to try and give it a little bit of my own personality.

Tomorrow is driver training.  Lee, you can appreciate this.  We will all be trained on driving a 15 passenger van! I have no desire what so ever to drive one of these vans anywhere, but we are required to take the training regardless.  I'm trying to remind myself that this is just another skill I can add to the resume haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment