Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Dear Permanent Team, I hope you love me and I love you.

  Today is the day.  At some point during our training today between 8am and 5 pm, we will be given our permanent teams.  Permanent teams are the teams that you will be living and working with during Spikes with the exception of one round, which is the shuffle round.  Today seems to be a day that we have all been excited and nervous for ever since we started working within our units.  My feelings towards today, well I personally am STRESSING.  I mean let's be real here; the next eight months of my life will primarily be spent with my team of 7-10 people in  very close quarters and potentially stressful situations. Living, eating, sleeping, and working beside one another day in and day out for six weeks at a time.  I feel like this is a pretty big deal and I deserve to be a little stressed.  I can work with pretty much anyone, so I'm not worried about the workdays, but living with 10 people is going to be a challenge.  Sharing a space with 3 people has proven difficult for me in the past, and I could take breaks from them by going to class, or work, or anywhere really, but I won't really have that option while on Spike.
  The past few days all most of us have talked about is whose team we want to be on and who we want as a team leader.  A friend of mine here gave me a reality check earlier and said that he was a strong believer in fate, and whatever was meant to be would be in the end.  I had to agree with him.  We have absolutely no control over who our team leader or teammates will be in the end because it is completely left up to the team leaders and our unit leader.
  Another person told me to look at this as my personal challenge for the next eight months, which I'm sure it will prove to be just that.  I know there will be times that the entire team doesn't get along, and times that I will just want my own personal space and be alone, but I joined the program to help me find more opportunities in life.  What better way to open more doors than to make connections with strangers and have them help you work on the qualities that you do not possess and build on the qualities and skills that you already have?  I will definitely have to continuously keep my self in check and be a constant reminder to myself of why I am here.
                             All day I will be reminding myself 3 words:
OPEN MIND, BREATHE....OPEN MIND, BREATHE...OPEN MIND, BREATHE

No comments:

Post a Comment