Saturday, November 20, 2010

Chutes and Ladders, Kipper, and Incident Reports

I finished my first week of work yesterday.  Needless to say it was interesting, as is every event for me it seems.
The first morning went well.  I took the Hospitality Cart around with Melissa on the first floor, and then I was on my own for the next hour and a half.  Since then, I have been doing it on my own, and I really enjoy it.  I was telling my supervisor that it's fun to be able to give things to the parents that they need, especially when they expect you to be bringing things to their children. 

The second part of the day is when I make my patient visits.  The first day I met with my afternoon supervisor, Wendy, and she went over the patient stat sheet with me and discussed a few patients, but we ran out of time and I didn't get to observe any bedsides.  So, the next day I was on my own to do bedsides because Wendy was in meetings for the afternoon.  My first bedside was traumatic to say the least.  I went to visit a patient in the Neurology  Unit, and he had just returned to the room from a minor procedure.  His granddad needed to run out to his car, so I agreed to sit with the patient and play with him for a little while.  He was a three year old little boy, full of energy but pretty easy to entertain.  I hung out with him for a few minutes, and then the nurse came in to order his lunch etc.  While the nurse was giving me instructions for the little boys lunch, he fell through the bed rails out of the bed.  That's right, right on the floor, a neuro patient.  I wanted to cry, but I didn't.  He ended up being fine and discharged later that evening I think, but it wasn't the best way to start off my bedsides.  Since then however, my bedsides have gone much more smoothly.  I have held some of the babies, played chutes and ladders, and read stories about Kipper.

I am looking forward to the rest of our time here.  My supervisors make the job so much more enjoyable, and seeing the kids stuck in bed all day is tough, but it's fun to play with them and know that you are making their time there a little bit more enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment