Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Ar Can Saw

Yesterday, we finally got our placements for the Arkansas Children's Hospital, and I am working with the Hospitality Cart and as a Floater for two floors.  Now, what does that mean?  We spent all day yesterday orienting ourselves to the different volunteer roles...all 15 of them.  We could rank our top ten, which was difficult since I felt the same about quite a few of the roles. 

The Hospitality Cart position is based out of the Volunteer Services Office.  With that I will be taking a cart around to the general patient rooms and offering the parents any toiletry items they might need, socks, notepads, or word searches.  Basically, I will providing for those who are too busy worrying about their children to be worried about themselves, which I am absolutely excited about.  This will give me a chance to interact with the families and the patients on three floors of the hospital.  Also, I am excited to be working so closely with the Volunteer Services Office, since I am interested in possibly working with Volunteer Coordination. 

As a Floater, I am working with the Child Life Education Office.  I will be visiting patients in the general medical ward and the neurological ward, bringing them games and various things to entertain them if they are confined to their rooms, or taking them to the play rooms.  This part I am most nervous about because I will be seeing some of the patients for several days, possibly weeks, and I don't want to get too attached.  Overall though, I think this will be a fun placement and a great experience.  My only exposure to hospital's has been less than positive to say the least, so hopefully this will change my views.

I'm running out of time here in Starbucks, but will be sure to give you a quick update sometime this weekend with more details about the living arrangements and other fun things in Little Rock.  Also, I have added my mailing address for this project, so I would love any and all mail!

1 comment:

  1. Mary,
    You will be fine as you begin your new spike because you have such a compassionate heart and spirit about you. You will bless many lives while you are there.
    Love You
    MOM

    ReplyDelete